Saturday, October 1, 2011

Dealing with another dip ...

And it isn't me, thank you very much, Clark. I had another dip in the roadbed that I got about to repairing today. The first two photos show how much of a dip there was. What I did was to take a piece of rail, one of the good thing about using code 138 steel rail (yes, steel, not nickel silver) is that it has a tendency to want to stay pretty straight/flat. I used the rail as a gauge to know which ties to raise and by how much. You can see that the dip is pretty sizeable ...



In the next photo, I have started to shim the lower ties up to the level of the rail "gauge." The clamp is holding the rail in place so this actually works ...




The ties on the other side were also dipped down, but not as badly, so I repeated the process for the other side as well and added in the missing ties to complete the section ...


Now I just have to wait for the carpenters glue to dry ...

No comments:

Post a Comment